For digestibility, assimilation and nutritional benefit, grains (including breakfast porridge) should be soaked overnight or longer. With this method, the oats are set up to soak in acidified water for 8 – 24 hours. The setup is quick and easy to do after dinner or before bed.
Avoid over-reliance on starches and grains such as rice, corn, and oats. Eggs, fish, kefir, soups, cooked winter squash, and left-overs are more nutritious alternatives.
- Combine in a thermos, small sauce pan, or covered bowl:
1 C organic rolled or cracked oats
1 C warm mineral water or filtered water
2 T whey (liquid drained from yogurt)
or 1 T lemon juice or rice vinegar
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 8 – 24 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, boil:
1 C mineral water or filtered water combined with
½ tsp. mineral salt such as Real Salt® or Himalayan Pink Salt dissolved in it.
- Combine the soaked oats and the boiling salted water, let sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
Or, if you like you oats very squishy, heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve with butter and cream or half-n-half.
- Additional toppings: stir in sprouted flax seeds, or sprinkle top with coconut flakes or sprouted pumpkin seeds.