When you need an Asian flavor, this Taiwanese dish uses simple pantry ingredients that are easily kept on hand. We adore this recipe!
Cabbage with Shiitake Mushrooms and Dried Shrimp
4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1½ cups cool water until reconstituted (30 minutes)
1 T dried baby shrimp, soaked in ½ c warm water for 10 minutes
3 T lard, duck fat, or peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. green cabbage, shredded
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. real salt, or more to taste
- Drain the shrimp, discarding the liquid. Squeeze excess water out of shrimp, then chop them.
- Pour the mushroom soaking water through a very fine sieve and reserve.
- Slice the mushrooms into fine slivers, discarding tough parts from the stems.
- Heat the fat in a large skillet. Add shrimp, mushrooms and garlic. Stir until hot and fragrant.
- Add the cabbage, salt and red pepper flakes. Toss the cabbage over the heat for 2 minutes.
- Add half of the reserved mushroom water, bring to a strong simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, simmer and stir to allow the cooking liquid to reduce by half.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Serve immediately. Offer Coconut Aminos as a condiment.